Everything to grab heading into the 2022 F1 season
Welcome to Formulation 1 — the premier global racing series — as it embarks on its 73rd season. Last year saw 7-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton’s title-a hit trail halted on the last lap of the last trail of the season. Crimson Bull Racing’s Max Verstappen took the checkered flag in Abu Dhabi in extremely controversial model to disclose his first championship and marked the cease of Mercedes seven-year dominance.
2022 ushers in new technical laws and wage cap boundaries aimed at making the racing more aggressive. With teams arriving to the foremost trail of the season with completely loads of initial designs, there is mighty alternative for a shakeup in the driver and crew standings. Four previous World Champions and drivers from 14 loads of worldwide locations living the sphere for what’s anticipated to be an exhilarating season.
How Many Teams Are There?
F1 is produced from ten teams: Alfa Romeo, AlphaTauri, Alpine, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Haas, McLaren, Mercedes, Crimson Bull, and Williams. Each crew has two drivers, with all 20 drivers racing every weekend. Every crew also has reserve drivers at the song in the match a foremost driver is unable to compete.
Key Drivers To Know
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) – 7-time Champion (tied for all-time first place of living), 103 wins (1st all-time) & 103 poles (1st all-time), completed 2nd last season after a hit four straight titles. +135 favourite at DraftKings Sportsbook to take his eighth title this year.
- Max Verstappen (Crimson Bull) – 10 trail wins last season resulted in his first F1 Championship. 2d ultimate odds to take the title at +180.
- Lando Norris (McLaren) – Regarded as one of the most tip young drivers who earned four podiums (top three finishers) last season and McLaren’s ultimate likelihood of returning to the tip since 2008 with Hamilton.
- Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) – Had attend-to-attend wins in his first season with the Italian crew in 2019 and is seen as the legendary crew’s ultimate likelihood to revive their glory. Third ultimate title odds at +700
- Fernando Alonso (Alpine) – 2-time Champion, 32 wins and 22 poles. Alonso would possibly presumably well well accumulate off to a immediate start up given his experience and suppleness to the new plan.
- George Russell (Mercedes) – After three seasons with Williams, Russell makes the pass to a championship contender and would possibly presumably well well merely be the eventual successor to Lewis Hamilton. Fourth ultimate title odds at +800.
How Does The Level Gadget Work?
Drivers and teams safe ingredients from every trail that add up over the path of the season to settle the Drivers & Constructors (Teams) Championships. The drivers who carry out 1st thru 10th create ingredients in accordance to their train – 1st (25), 2nd (18), third (15) …. 10th (1). An extra level (1) is awarded to the driver who completes the fastest lap for the length of the trail, so long as they carry out in the tip ten. Team ingredients are collected from each and every drivers’ finishes added together. Whichever driver and crew luxuriate in basically the most ingredients at the cease of the season claims the respective championship trophy.
Rule Modifications for 2022
This season ushers in a new era for Formulation 1 with sweeping changes coming to most areas of the sport:
- Bustle Director – Last year’s director Michael Masi is out following his controversial decisions in the 2021 title-deciding trail. He’ll be changed by two those that will rotate the responsibility every trail and they also would possibly presumably well even be assisted by a brand new video overview system the same to VAR in soccer.
- Technical Rules – The ultimate change for 2022 will search completely redesigned autos with variation from all ten teams. The brand new laws are designed to attend nearer racing and most passing alternatives.
- Tires – An lengthen to 18-plug tires is anticipated to toughen grip and minimize degradation.
- Poke Races – Quick races will occur on the day sooner than (Saturday) three chosen Gigantic Prix events with ingredients being awarded to the tip eight finishers.
- Wage Cap – In disclose to advertise more parity among the teams, new spending limits had been enacted. Teams are capped at $140 million in 2022 with that number falling every season.
How Does Qualifying Work?
Qualifying is damaged into three sections. Q1 ingredients all 20 drivers and lasts 18 minutes, with the tip 15 fastest situations advancing. Q2 repeats with layout with the last drivers, lasting 15 minutes and handiest the tip ten transferring forward. Sooner or later, in Q3 the tip ten drivers luxuriate in 12 minutes to living their fastest lap and starting up of living in the trail. Each driver’s finishing train from the respective groups decides the running disclose for the Gigantic Prix.
The 2022 F1 Schedule
2022 would possibly be the longest F1 season ever, featuring 22 races held world wide. After running 21 circuits in 2018 & 2019, COVID restrictions had been lifted and fan-favourite tracks in Australia, Canada, Japan & Singapore are returning to the schedule. The season kicks off on March 20th in Bahrain and would possibly presumably well well merely cease on November 20th in Abu Dhabi. 2022 also marks the debut of the logo new Miami Gigantic Prix in May per chance presumably per chance, which is the 2nd American trail on the calendar — joining the October United States Gigantic Prix in Austin, Texas.
Within the United States, ESPN holds television rights for Formulation 1, essentially rebroadcasting Sky Sports (UK)’s protection. Each apply, qualifying session, and Gigantic Prix are featured on the ESPN family of networks. Fans without cable can straight win corpulent F1 protection by F1TV.
3 Big Storylines To Music This Season
- Unique Designs – It’s all quiz marks heading into the foremost trail below new laws. Some teams will pass up the running disclose in accordance to their designs while others would possibly presumably well merely battle in the outlet rounds. With Mercedes no longer yet in management for the length of making an try out and 2021’s last-place of living crew Haas topping the time charts at some point soon in Bahrain, the leisure is possible as all people involves grips with the new autos.
- Hamilton v. Verstappen – How will these two trail every loads of following the dramatic ending last season? With Crimson Bull taking a locate fancy the early favorites in Bahrain making an try out and Mercedes lacking velocity, how long will it be till the sport’s top two drivers are struggling with every loads of for this year’s championship?
- Ferrari – The last time the 16-time champion Italians gained the F1 Constructors’ Title develop into once 2008 and the Drivers’ Championship the year sooner than. After impressive test runs in Barcelona and Bahrain, would possibly presumably well well this be their return to glory with two standout young abilities in Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz?
Whether or no longer you would well be an extended-time supporter, fresh adopter, keen on Netflix’s Force to Live on docuseries, or new to the series, it’s the ideal time to jump aboard as Formulation 1 embarks on a new era of automotive designs and competition. The 2022 F1 season kicks off this week with the Bahrain Gigantic Prix on Sunday, March 20 at 11 am ET.