9 excellent stats from Mets’ no-no
7: 09 AM UTC
The Mets threw the second no-hitter in franchise history on Friday evening at Citi Discipline, marking the 17th mixed no-hitter in AL/NL history and first for the club. The most effective varied no-hitter in Mets history used to be thrown by Johan Santana on June 1, 2012, against the Cardinals.
On Friday, Tylor Megill pitched the major 5 innings, forward of Drew Smith (1 1/3 innings), Joely Rodríguez (one inning), Seth Lugo (two-thirds of an inning) and Edwin Díaz (one inning) completed it off. And, of direction, the broadcast booth doesn’t appear within the field ranking, however it’s worth noting that the performance came on the 64th birthday of the Mets’ SNY play-by-play say, Gary Cohen — who got cupcakes all the device in which by the game and a no-hitter for additional dessert.
Listed below are 9 stats and info in regards to the second no-hitter in Mets history:
• This no-hitter came 28 years and 237 days after the closing one which Buck Showalter managed, thrown by Jim Abbott of the Yankees on Sept. 4, 1993. That is the second-largest hole between sequential no-hitters managed, trailing most effective Connie Mack’s 29-year, 14-day hole, in accordance with the Elias Sports Bureau. The no-nos for Mack? One by Bullet Joe Bush on Aug. 26, 1916, for the A’s, and the varied by Dick Fowler for the club on Sept. 9, 1945.
• The Mets entered the day with an MLB-leading .700 a hit percentage. This used to be the fourth time within the divisional period (since 1969) that a team leading the Majors in a hit percentage threw a no-hitter, in accordance with Elias. The closing time it befell used to be Can also 17, 1998, when David Wells threw a ultimate game for the Yankees. The others were Juan Nieves for the Brewers on April 15, 1987, and Jim Palmer for the Orioles on Aug. 13, 1969.
• Friday’s no-hitter featured 5 Mets pitchers. There had been most effective two mixed no-hitters that fervent more pitchers, each and each with six: the Astros’ no-no against the Yankees on June 11, 2003, and the Mariners’ no-hitter against the Dodgers on June 8, 2012 — one week after Santana threw the major no-hitter in Mets history.
• The 159 pitches thrown in Friday’s no-hitter are basically the most for any no-hitter since pitch counts had been tracked (since 1988).
• The Phillies had appropriate two batted balls with an anticipated batting moderate — in accordance with originate perspective and exit flee — of .500 or elevated: Didi Gregorius’ third-inning lineout (.500 xBA) and Jean Segura’s lineout in that identical inning (.770 xBA).
• It used to be the fourth no-hitter at Citi Discipline, after Santana’s in 2012, Chris Heston’s no-no for the Giants on June 9, 2015, and Max Scherzer’s on Oct. 3, 2015.
• This used to be the 20th time the Phillies had been no-hit in their lengthy franchise history, which dates to 1883. That ties the Dodgers for basically the most times being no-hit of any franchise, including the postseason, in accordance with the Elias Sports Bureau.
• This used to be the second no-hitter caught by James McCann, who used to be also within the lend a hand of the plate for Lucas Giolito’s no-no for the White Sox on Aug. 25, 2020, against the Pirates.
• It used to be the major time Joe Girardi managed a team that used to be no-hit. He caught two no-hitters in his occupation: Dwight Gooden’s in 1996 and David Cone’s ultimate game in ‘99. In 2006, Anibal Sánchez threw a no-hitter for Girardi’s Marlins. Girardi grew to change into appropriate the fifth individual to salvage watch over a team that had a no-hitter, put collectively a team that got no-hit and play catcher in a game throughout which his team completed a no-hitter in his occupation, in accordance with Elias. He joined Scott Servais, Jeff Torborg, Herman Franks and Wilbert Robinson.